Pillar #3: Coaching
What is Developmental Coaching?
As the demands of modern life become more and more complex and challenging, many of us are scrambling for clarity, support, and solutions. Developmental Coaching is a human communication and change process dedicated to enabling profound and lasting transformations of our personal and professional perspectives, pursuits, and performance. It isn't just talking about our problems. A coaching dialogue encourages and stimulates us to perform at a higher level while accelerating our development and unleashing our undiscovered potential.
Developing Your "Self-as-Instrument"
As the quote above illustrates, the change challenge that many of us face is the inability to close the gap between what we genuinely want and what we are able to do. We have a sense of what is (the insufficient present conditions), as well as what should be (what we want and who we are striving to become) but often lack the requisite self-knowledge, skills, or habits of thought and action to enact the changes that we desire. In other words, it's a learning and development problem, and Developmental Coaching, as described above, is a deeply personal and potentially transformational process (or praxis).
Potential Pathways of Developmental Coaching
Your personal change challenges are, by definition, personal (idiosyncratic), which makes every coaching conversation and relationship unique. However, below is short list of some common potential pathways that your developmental coaching journey may take. Our coaches can help you:
- Understand and refine your personality and align your behaviour and energy with it.
- Discover and reason about your values, perceptions, virtues, and faults.
- Envision and articulate a bigger goal, career, or life plan.
- Explore new and exciting perspectives and growth opportunities.
- Take stock of your current situation, beliefs, and personal constructs and take responsibility for your next steps.
- Move past mistakes and failures and shift your mindset to learning, growing, and building your competence.
- Integrate competing elements of your work and life.
- Develop and strengthen your character, resourcefulness, and resilience.
The Self-Authoring Suite is a self-paced, independent online writing program divided into past, present and future modules designed to help you remember, articulate, and analyze key positive and negative life experiences, understand and rectify your personality faults, understand and develop your personality virtues, and envision a meaningful, healthy and productive future three to five years down the road, and to develop a detailed, implementable plan to make that future a reality. Read more here.
You can purchase and independently complete The Self-Authoring Suite of writing exercises below or work with one of our Developmental Coaches to enhance the experience. The Self-Authoring Suite is included in many of our programs and packages.